This course describes the performance outcomes, skills, and knowledge required to extract and serve espresso coffee beverages using commercial espresso machines and grinders. It requires the ability to advise customers on coffee beverages, select and grind coffee beans, prepare and assess espresso coffee beverages and to use, maintain, and clean espresso machines and grinders.
This course applies to any hospitality organisation that serves espresso coffee beverages, including cafes, restaurants, bars, clubs, function, and event venues.
It applies to espresso machine operators who operate with some level of independence and under limited supervision.
What You Will Learn
- Loading the group handle and tamping coffee
- Adjusting the grinder and espresso machines to achieve perfect espresso
- Advanced milk texturing
- Introduction to Latte Art (poured and etched patterns)
- Specialist coffee advice
- Pouring the coffees from the coffee menu
- Cleaning and maintain the espresso machine and grinder
- Safe food handling practices and much more!
PubNetwork utilises competency-based assessment to demonstrate that you have achieved the skills and knowledge required by nationally recognised standards. To achieve competence in this unit you will need to complete a written assessment and a skills demonstration.
Upon completion of the course, you have the option to return for monthly free refresher classes to practice the techniques you learn during the course for up to six months after you complete the course.
On successful completion of the course you will be issued with the nationally recognised Statement(s) of Attainment:
- SITHFAB005 – Prepare and serve espresso coffee.
- SITXFSA001 – Use hygienic practices for food safety.
Entrance Requirements / Pre-requisites
- Learners must be 16 years of age and over at the time of course commencement.
- There are no pre-requisite units for this course.
- Learners must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to attend onsite learning (Department of Education and Training, Victoria).